Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Knowledge is Power




So this past month I have been kind of wondering about Ecuador. Thoughs such as, what will I be doing, where will i be living, do they know that I am coming? I thought it was a little weird that the organization had not tried to contact me to double check my plans. Little did I know that they have been trying to contact me. I changed my email address to a grown up email address and I thought I let them know what the new one was but all of the emails where going to good old ilkat24 and not cool mjmoberly. So Yesterday I recieved a call from a woman from Ecuador wondering if I was still flying in on Friday and I said YES! So it's for real a go (just in case people where wondering haha)

Also hear are somethings that I have learned since I have gotten those lost emails:
  • I will be living in the town Casilla. In a newly remodeled cabin, with a full kitchen.
  • I will be living in the cabin by myself except on weekends when some Ecuadorian facilators will be sleeping at the cabin (there is a wood stove for heat aahhh comforts of the UP)
  • I am in charge of basically all my meals (Yeah grocery shopping in Ecuador)
  • My main job will to help develope the outdoor education program
  • And the biggest and best news is that my Spanish level is not crucial to my contribution to my mission down there. I will be able to practice it of course but they aren't going to have me take formal spanish lessons down there (although I wouldn't mind taking formal lessons being that i'm a nerd who wants to go to school anyway)



On a seperate note I am currently in Chicago (my 2nd leg of this journey to Ecuador). I feel like i'm just visiting a will be back in the UP soon (just a few hops away). My UP family had a little dinner celebration for me. Which was wonderful, thank you all! I will miss all of you!! Here are a couple pics that we took after the dinner:







4 comments:

Jenny said...

Um, excuse me, I don't SEE us on your blog :)

Love you and talk to you soon!

ses said...

Megs, I will be thinking of you in the next few days as you travel/transition down into the unkown. I am sad that I have not been up north yet this fall/winter to see you before you left, but look forward to hearing stories from you when you return. Enjoy your experience.

Jenny said...

AH! I talked to you on the phone yesterday and forgot to say happy birthday! I totally pulled a Moberly :) Hope you had a good day!

Mom said...

And, excuse me, but WE are part of your UP family too, and I don't see US in the picture!

Glad you've made it ok. We miss you already.